Below are the exact words of the Silver Lane story as told by a beloved former Principal, Miss Shea.
The Silver Lane story is based upon the facts told on a small monument dedicated to the Sons of the Revolution, erected June 17, 1928. It reads, "To commemorate the officers and men of the French Army under Lieutenant General Count de Rochambeau, who camped near this spot in 1781 while on the march from Newport, RI, to join Washington's forces on their march to Yorktown, VA, where Cornwallis surrendered on October 19, 1781."
It is believed that Rochambeau paid his men in silver money, which was very scarce at that time. Because of the large amount of silver here the street was called, "Silver Lane".
During the time the French soldiers were encamped here they were entertained by the farmers who lived here. It is said that during the evening gay times were enjoyed by the young people who held dances in the apple orchards owned by the Warren family then. Some members of that family still live here.
The name, Silver Lane, was given to this section of town as well as the street. At the corner of Main Street and Silver Lane there was a Silver Lane Post Office which was used until about 1930.
The painting which we now have in our school was done as a part of a series of murals for the library of the old East Hartford High School, now the Center School (In 1999 this building became known as the East Hartford Cultural Center). Since it shows some of the history of our part of the town, it was considered appropriate to have it in Silver Lane School. It shows the French soldiers in their striking uniforms being paid in silver coins.
It is hoped that every child in this school will know these facts and take pride in our town's history.
Miss Shea, Former Principal
Silver Lane School