Notes from the School Governance Council Meeting held on
September 27, 2016
School Governance Council meeting members in attendance:
- Teachers/staff/school connections: Dr. Lesley Morgan Thompson, Monique Butler, Jennifer Doyon, Joana Moore
- Parents/Community Connections: Pastor Renee Baisden, Ryan Balancier, Aston Eason
SGC/PTO Whole Group Update/Review:
Margie Williams the Family Resource Coordinator and Monique Butler explained the difference between PTO and SGC.
Introductions of all in attendance
Dr. Lesley Morgan Thompson explained a bit more about SGC. It should be comprised of 7 parents, 5 teachers, and 2 community leaders.
Parents are members of the SGC for a 2 year period. Nominations can include themselves/parent. Forms will be going home within the next few weeks for the voting process. Multiple people can be voted for.
SGC thoughts for the year ahead/today’s discussion:
- Possibly implementing home visits within the school community so that the interactions are more 1 on 1 and brainstorming some ideas of how to possibly start it.
- SGC lends a voice to the parents and not just the teachers/staff
- Since the implementation of SGC we’ve noticed improved communication.
- Some past changes include- newsletter, PBIS, increased usage of robo-calls
Monique will send out reminders of next meeting about a month in advance, and then again a few weeks in advance.
Monique shared about the Pittsburg visit- dynamics as a team, home visits, families to feel like they're part of the school.
Early November- (November 3rd) 9-11:30 welcoming walk-through. Group will be comprised of about 8 parents, and some staff. Some things they will be looking for include- “Are we a welcoming environment/school?” When they walk through as teams they gather information which will generate a report.
People expressed interest on being part of that team include: Joana Moore, Aston Eason, Pastor Renee Baisden, Ryan Balancier, Annette Weekes, Monique Butler (if another staff member was needed)
Ways to make the school more inviting:
- Joana commented about incoming Kindergarten students
- Phone call suggestion to take place within the first 3 weeks.
- Meeting parents/families outside of the school building- Possible meeting places- library, parks (neutral places)
- Letter for possible recommendations for teacher next year- maybe add a circle choice for personality types, etc
SGC also discussed how this year’s School Compact will need some revision for end of year so the home practice can be added.
Closing/ upcoming events:
- Fundraisers starting Thursday
- Volunteers needed for picture day- October 21
- Culture Night- October 27
- Nov 1- Dec 9- there will be raffles for items such as tv/bikes
- Winter Dance- Friday, December 2
- Book Fair- December 5- December 8
- Walking Club on Wednesdays
- Paint Night Wednesday, October 12th
The next SGC meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 15th at 5:30 pm!