• Students
  • Staff
  • Parents
  • Quicklinks
page tools:
email page print page default type small type large type

School History

 

The Dr. Franklin H. Mayberry School was erected in 1959.  The school is named after Dr. Mayberry born on April 8, 1862 in Maine and then moved to East Hartford in 1891.  His phenomenal success in his medical practice was due to his extraordinary management of cases of typhoid fever. He was a member of the school board and in 1895 he was elected to the State Legislature after the shortest residence in the district of any of his predeccesors.

The School is located in the east central area of East Hartford in a neighborhoold called Mayberry Village.  Mayberry Village was built in 1941 on what was the Cannon family farm to house the influx of people who worked at Pratt and Whitney and other defense industries in Connecticut.  The complex was named after Doctor Mayberry a local physician who was killed while crossing railroad tracks under Burnham Street in East Hartford.  Mayberry Village is home to Labor Field which contains a baseball park and to Frankin H. Mayberry Elementary School.

References:  East Hartford Public Library, Commerotive Biography

                   Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, Mayberry Village

  • Hartford Courant Top Work Places 2011 Award Ribbon
  • Hartford Courant Top Work Places 2012 Award Ribbon
  • Hartford Courant Top Work Places 2013 Award Ribbon
  • Hartford Courant Top Work Places 2016 Award Ribbon
powered by finalsite