Attention Staff members:
The BOE and EHHS administration encourage and sanction student field trips, which are of value in helping to achieve each participating student’s educational objectives. This process involves several steps that need clarification:
1) It is necessary to see that the date is available and does not have more than 2 trips for that day. You do this by checking in Mr. DeCarli’s office in the Calendar of Field Trips.
2) You must have 1 adult chaperone for every 15 students; otherwise the field trip cannot be approved and may delay the return of your submitted packet. Always call for a substitute.
3) For non-overnight field trips, a field trip packet (obtained from the Quick Links/Teacher Zone/forms link on the East Hartford website: typed and submitted in its entirety, must be signed off by Department Heads 1st and then my office 2nd.
4) Completion and submission of the packet to my office must all take place with enough time for you to submit the medical permission slips to the nurse’s office, giving their office three (3) FULL DAYS of medical review before your actual field trip leaves. For example, if you turn in your slips after the start of school on a Tuesday, the earliest your trip can leave is that Saturday, giving the nurses Wed, Thurs and Fri for review—3 FULL DAYS. If those slips are not turned in time, the field trip will not take place.
5) All transportation and trip tickets must be completed and turned in to Madeline Harris in the SAA office.
6) Your field trip roster must be submitted to my office 24 hours in advance so that we can code the student attendance appropriately to avoid incorrect automated absence phone calls to parents.
7) On the day of the trip, leave your cell phone number in the main office, in the event of an emergency. Your final field trip list of attendees should then be e-mailed to all House Offices, Angela and Sue in the main office, specifically noting any students that are absent.
For overnight field trips a different ‘overnight’ packet (obtained from the Quick Links/Teacher Zone/forms link on the East Hartford website), typed and submitted in its entirety, must be filled out in the appropriate time frame…see packet for specifics on overnights…and submitted for BOE approval. This must all take place with enough time for you to submit the medical permission slips to the nurse’s office at least 2 full weeks BEFORE your actual field trip leaves. If those slips are not turned in time, the field trip will not take place.
Also, following any field trip the final field trip report must be submitted to my office. This document provides a brief description of the trip and whether or not the learning objective was met.
Thank you for advanced cooperation in this process. Any questions, please feel free to contact me.
East Hartford High School