The second quarter has begun. The fall athletics season is winding down for most teams. However, the boys’ soccer team and football team are finishing with very strong seasons. First quarter report cards are being distributed through Connections on Friday, November 13, 2015. Additionally, Smarter Balance scores will be distributed to seniors and CAPT Science scores will be distributed to juniors through Connections as well. If you have any questions about these scores and your child’s performance, please contact the Guidance Department. We will be happy to sit down with you and review the reports with you and your child.
· We have had two successful Faculty Workshops on positive management strategies to use in class. These engagement strategies range from active learning plans for all classes to de-escalation tips for students when they become emotional or frustrated. We continue to collaborate as a faculty and staff to find best practices that work for students to be successful in every class every day.
· After our second round of Literacy Faculty Workshops, we have begun some peer-to-peer observations. This is a process where teachers watch other teachers implement a literacy strategy, maybe even video tape the lesson and then the two teachers meet to discuss celebrations and opportunities for growth. Additionally, we held a third session of Cohort Two training in West Ed Reading Apprenticeship Program at EHHS. This program is focused on metacognitive strategies for students. Literacy strategies are evident throughout the school.
· With our 45-day report, attendance rates and target goals are improving from last year. Our daily attendance rate is at 95.1%: an increase from 93.7% last year. And our chronically absent students also improved 3½ points dropping to 12.2% compared to last year. Our daily efforts have numerous strategies from automated phone calls to home visits.
· Students continue to adhere to our mantra of “Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Responsible. This is evident in our 49% decrease in behavioral consequences comparing October from last year to this year. Also, our second Student of the Month Breakfast is held Friday, November 13, 2015. And, we tripled the number of student Brag Tickets earned in October. It’s a great year to be a Hornet!
· We have many opportunities for parents to be involved at EHHS. Our grade level events that occur quarterly are important for parents to attend. Additionally, the PTO and SGC meet on Mondays once a month. The next meetings are on December 14th: 6 pm for School Governance Council and 7 pm for Parent Teacher Organization. Come out and join a parent group: have your voice heard.
When people say that Junior year is your most busiest year, they aren't lying. This past weekend, I probably spent a total of three and a half hours on homework and studying - and I still managed to forget about my Spanish homework. It's already November - report cards come out on Friday. This year is going by so quickly I can barely keep up. But it's also going pretty well. Recently we had spirit week at the school, consisting of five themed days at school, an epic homecoming football game where East Hartford crushed Hall, and an interesting homecoming dance where the DJ was from 93.7. Fall sports are coming to a close as Thanksgiving approaches, leading into colder temperatures and the second quarter. Yes, we are one fourth through the year, but we still have three-fourths to go - and I know that each one will be just as good as the last.