Bylaws and Roles of the Board of Education
Role of Board and Members (Powers, Purposes, Duties)
The Board of Education shall provide the best educational program possible, consistent with wise economy and the financial ability of the community.
Members of the Board of Education are responsible for being informed about the schools and the educational programs. Membership on the Board of Education obligates each member to spend sufficient time at the job to be informed individuals capable of making decisions highly important in the lives of individual children.
The Board of Education shall:
- Employ an able and qualified Superintendent of Schools.
- Adopt sound policies to govern the operation of the school system.
- Communicate the educational program to the people of the community.
- Keep abreast of future educational needs of the town as well as the present.
- Take such specific actions as are required by law.
- Expend its budget wisely and efficiently.
- Adopt an annual budget.
Legal Reference: Connecticut General Statutes
- 1-200 Definitions
- 10-186 Duties of local and regional boards of education
- 10-220 Duties of boards of education
- 10-221 Boards of education to prescribe rules
- 10-240 Control of schools.
- 10-241 Powers of school districts
Bylaw adopted by the Board: 11/08/82 East Hartford Public Schools
Bylaw revised: 11/02/09 East Hartford , Connecticut